GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY, GOOD FOR HOMEOWNERS, GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
The HERO Program is now in southern California communities. HERO Programs help local economies and the environment by providing homeowners with much-needed financing for energy and water efficient home improvements and renewable energy systems. Communities with HERO Programs have increased construction activity, created jobs, lowered utility bills, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
Through the HERO Program, homeowners can apply for low cost HERO Financing for home improvements such as installing solar, replacing an old air conditioning system, air sealing and weatherization, installing insulation, and landscaping. Homeowners repay the financing through their property tax bill over the useful life of the installed products.
ELIGIBLE HERO PROGRAM PRODUCTS
- Heating Cooling and Ventilation (HVAC)
- Cool Roof System
- Air Sealing and Weatherization
- Water Heating
- Windows, Skylights, and Doors
- Pool Equipment
- Lighting Measures
- Renewable Energy
- Water Efficiency
- Landscaping and Hardscaping
WHAT IS HERO PROGRAM FINANCING
HERO Financing is low cost financing for energy and water efficient products and renewable energy systems. HERO Financing enables homeowners to improve their home energy performance, lower their utility bills, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
HERO Financing is offered through local governments’ HERO Programs. Before a homeowner can apply for HERO Financing, their local government must launch a HERO Program.
- Quick Approvals – Applications can be approved for qualified homeowners through their local HERO Program online application or when contractors call-in applications.
- Non-Credit Based Eligibility Criteria – Homeowners’ credit scores are not a factor in determining HERO Financing eligibility.
- Low Cost Financing – HERO Financing has low interest rates that are fixed throughout the length of a homeowner’s financing term.
- Long Financing Terms – HERO Financing can be paid back over 5-20 years, depending on the useful life of the eligible home improvement.
- Easy Repayment – Homeowners repay the financing along with their property taxes.
HOW HERO PROGRAM FINANCING WORKS
A homeowner in a participating community can apply for HERO Financing through a contractor or online on their local HERO Program website. Once approved, the homeowner works their contractor to select eligible energy and water efficient products or renewable energy systems to install. The homeowner then signs Financing Documents and the contractor starts work. When work is complete, the homeowner and contractor request HERO Financing funding. The contractor is paid through the local HERO Program. The homeowner pays back the financing through their property tax bill.
- Product Approval
- Sign Financing Documents
- Payment Issued
- HERO Financing application is short and simple
- Minimum credit scores and property appraisals not required
- Quick approval for qualified applicants
- Apply online, through contractors, or by mail